Sunday 22 June 2014

Ileostomy Issues

I thought I'd actually write a SERIOUS post, what? I know right.

I wanna write (type) about the issues we have or complications we can develop with having an ileostomy.
My day today has spurred this topic on and got my mind whirring because all day I have wanted to... HAVE A SHIT.

Out of my butt. Yep.

It's not possible, my colon has gone (c'ya u useless moron) and my rectum is stapled down. So basically this experience is called 'Phantom Rectum' - (sounds spooky and makes me wanna listen to Ghost).
It's not very pleasant for me, I feel so agitated; I have to sit on the toilet and wait for it to pass.. There have been a few times where I haven't been able to, so shift around looking like I need a wee. I also get rectal discharge which is oh so lovely and I'm sure you all wanna know haha but fuck it, you're gunna- 
Rectal Discharge is a delightful thing which tends to happen to me every couple months, I guess because my rectum is still there the mucus just builds up and has to evacuate somehow... it sometimes hurts me but generally it's just uncomfortable :(





Another thing that I am concerned about- Vitamin B12 Deficiency.
Vit B12 is pretty important as it keeps your brain and nervous system healthy. 
Your large intestine absorbs vitamin B12 from the food you eat- WELL, I don't have one of these useful things in my body, shame really because it seems to be pretty important.
So basically if your B12 levels fall you can develop Vitamin B12 anaemia, wonderful! Another thing you want to add to your list of body fuck ups, wahoo!
If it's not treated it can affect your nervous system- i.e. memory loss etc. 
I do take supplements though, but I forget a lot of the time (memory loss already? ha)

The things I have posted about aren't things that my doctors told me; nothing about the above was even mentioned to me. The first time I had rectal discharge I thought I was dying and I was gunna poop out my rectum! It was only after speaking to my friend Skinny Pete (not of Breaking Bad fame) who had a colostomy, he informed me this was normal and it was never mentioned to him either.
The B12 issue was something I came across online, so yeah thanks again docs and nurses you scared the shit (lol) out of us all for not telling us poor people!


Thanks for reading my ramblings!

xo

Seeing as I mentioned Ghost in this post, have a song by them-




No comments:

Post a Comment